Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Secret of Lorong Kulit

Penang is a great place to stay. You can simply experience different type of cultures over here. And today, I and Chewwis had explored another interesting place in Penang and it’s called ‘Lorong Kulit’…

I went to Lorong Kulit with Chewwis yesterday after teaching music. I have been staying in Penang for 7 years and heard people mentioned the name of 'Lorong Kulit' several times. However, I never ever make myself free before to visit this place… Finally, I made it today!

Lorong Kulit is a flea market. From the research through internet that I had just done, I know that the Lorong Kulit flea market had its humble beginnings in late 1992 when the municipal council cleared out the second hand goods dealers from Rope Walk, located off Penang Road in the town centre, where they had been trading by the roadside since the 1970s.
You can find out lots of funny old things over there such as electric stuff, watches, shoes, second-hand goods, antique, dvd and mobiles, too. Well, I have to admit myself that I’m not good in bargaining. So, I didn’t actually buy anything from there but just had a ‘window-shopping’

My mother did tell me something about Lorong Kulit before while I was in college time, ‘If your thing get stolen, you might be able to find it back at Lorong Kulit because it has a reputation of being a thieves market.’
Whether it is true or not about the saying of ‘Thieves Market’ but it is just a fun place that you should go and take a look and experience it.

For your information, the flea market is open from 8am to 2pm every day except when it rains. I’m here to suggest you that it’s better to visit the market during Sunday because there are more stalls and stuff to see. And another thing that I need to mention is… bring along a friend who is good in bargaining if you don’t know how to bargain with the dealer. Or not, you will get buried and cheated! >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment